Just as we were celebrating the reduction in COVID-19 numbers, it has had a resurgence of kinds. Call it the peaking of the first wave, the second wave, or the third- call it whatever you wish, the reality is that the numbers have been rising over October and November again.
We were all settling into a way of doing things and we’re planning on moving out of the house in measured terms. Many had started meeting family and friends in small numbers or going to the gym etc. But the numbers have risen again and everyone is worried again.
We have heard from a variety of people about being careful, about sanitization, and are eagerly awaiting the vaccine! Whose advice we want to follow, who to believe is up to us, but the age-old wisdom that always plays itself out stands firm – “make your immune system strong and you will either not get infections and diseases OR if you do, the effect will be minimal because your body will be able to fight it”.
So, while we do SMS (Sanitize-Mask-Social distance), we must improve our immunity as well.
Here are ways in which you can-
- Sleep well- get your 7-8 hours of sleep a day to help your body recover.
- Exercise- This will boost your immunity and improve your mental health and outlook as well. Any exercise will help walking, running, yoga, calisthenics. The ancient Indian form of Yoga has many specific asanas for immunity boosting (refer to our Yoga Series).
- Stress- Do not stress. Stay positive- use meditation, long walks, time with friends, fun times with family, etc. to help you achieve this.
- Food- Include immunity building foods in your diet :
- Vitamin C- in the form of citrus fruits such as oranges, or Supplements.
- Natural ingredients such as Tulsi, Turmeric, and Ashwagandha are known to help in building immunity immensely. Again, these are available in pure form or as supplements.
- Various kinds of spices that are easily available in every kitchen household can be good immunity boosters too and can be added to daily cooking-jeera (cumin), dhania (coriander), and lehsun (garlic).
If you think you or your family may be a compromised immune system – please work on it and fix it now. Now is not the time to indulge in comfort – now is the time to work on strengthening our immune system.