Coronavirus or COVID-19 is the name on everyone’s lips right now. No one knows when the pandemic will come to an end. But what we do know is that it’s not going to happen anytime soon. “Stay home, stay safe” is the mantra. While there are some relaxations, we may be spending more time at home than we planned for. More people avoiding moving out of their homes will have a positive effect on the spread of the virus. And since we are home, this may be the ideal downtime we needed to take some extra care of our bodies and minds (and those of our family’s.)
While we have learned the ways to take care of ourselves when we move out, and about the positive effects of washing and sanitizing, etc., we also need to learn ways to become strong from within, so our bodies and minds are stronger to fight the infection.
- Immunity boosting foods – These can be taken in their natural form /included with your daily food or as supplements to protect yourself from the virus -turmeric (in milk or water or as a supplement), tulsi leaves (in water or in your tea), and citrus fruits like guava, oranges, and grapes. You can even use Vitamin C tablets, Tulsi, Turmeric, and Ashwagandha tablets. All these ayurvedic herbs are great immunity boosters.
- Spices – Various kinds of spices that are easily available in every Indian kitchen can be good immunity boosters too, such as Jeera (Cumin), Dhania (Coriander), Adrak ((Ginger) and Lehsun (Garlic). Try and use them as much as possible while cooking.
- Warm Water-Make a habit of drinking warm water throughout the day. This keeps your throat moist and reduces the chances of infection.
- Outdoors – In these times of seclusion both our body and mind need to be outdoors. Otherwise, we will lose Vitamin D (supplements can still be taken) and we will lose the opportunity to be in the open fresh air. The positive effect that the seclusion of people has had on the air and environment is obvious and you should not miss a chance to go for a walk or a run every day. It will keep both your body and mind alert.
- Workout – A fit body is a healthier body. Doing basic yoga positions like Yogasana, Pranayama, and meditation on a daily basis for about 30 minutes has proven to be beneficial for our immunity and mental health.
So while you have the opportunity, please focus on your and your family’s health. This focus will go a long way in protecting you from any infections. And if this can become a way of life, you all will reap the benefits for years to come.